Unpack this, NRA (trigger warning)

Spread the love

Below the fold is a description from Wikipedia of the Red Lake School Shooting. Consider the details in relation to issues of gun ownership, safety, school security, and whatever other issues it brings to mind.

Warning, this is graphic and horrid.

The day of the massacre, Weise got a .22 caliber pistol from his bedroom, and fatally shot his grandfather as he was sleeping; he shot him two times in the head and ten times in the chest. According to Weise’s friends, the teenager may have had the gun for as long as a year. He took Lussier’s two police-issue weapons, a .40 caliber Glock 23 pistol and a Remington 870 12 gauge pump-action shotgun, a gunbelt and a bullet-proof vest.[1] He fatally shot Sigana two times in the head, as she was carrying laundry up the stairs.

Weise drove his grandfather’s squad car to Red Lake Senior High School in Red Lake on the reservation, arriving at around 2:45 p.m. Central Standard Time. As he entered the school through the main entrance, he encountered two unarmed security guards manning a metal detector. Weise shot and killed Derrick Brun, while the other security guard escaped without injury. Weise went into the main corridor of the school.

He began shooting into an English classroom,[5] killing three students and one teacher, and wounding three students. Ashley Lajeunesse said that Chase Lussier (no direct relation to Daryl Lussier) sheltered her, and was one of those shot by Weise.Jeffrey May, a 16-year-old sophomore, tried to wrestle Weise inside the classroom, and stabbed him in the stomach with a pencil.[6] His diversion allowed students to flee the classroom to safety, but Weise shot May two times in the neck and once in the jaw, leaving him injured, though not fatally.[3]

Witnesses said Weise smiled as he was shooting at people. One witness said that Weise asked a student if he believed in God.[5] This is believed to have been a reference to a widely publicized exchange between one of the shooters and a student during the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

At around 2:52 p.m., Weise returned to the main entrance, where he killed two students and wounded two others. The police had arrived quickly and engaged him with gunfire. FBI special agent Paul McCabe said the shoot-out lasted for about four minutes. None of the officers was injured.[5] After being hit in the abdomen and right arm, Weise retreated to a vacant classroom.[7] He leaned against a wall, put the shotgun barrel to his chin,[1] and fired, killing himself.

Have you read the breakthrough novel of the year? When you are done with that, try:

In Search of Sungudogo by Greg Laden, now in Kindle or Paperback
*Please note:
Links to books and other items on this page and elsewhere on Greg Ladens' blog may send you to Amazon, where I am a registered affiliate. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, which helps to fund this site.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.