Should people be able to trademark body parts and looks?

Anthony Davis is apparently some sort of athelete, and he apparently has these eyebrows:

And he intends to trademark them. Well, actually, he’s already trademarked them:

Davis, known for his connected eyebrows, trademarked the phrases “Fear The Brow” and “Raise The Brow” earlier this month.
“I don’t want anyone to try to grow a unibrow because of me and then try to make money off of it,”

It is a good thing he does not have a twin, or there might be a fierce, and at the same time incredibly stupid, legal battle.

10 Responses to Should people be able to trademark body parts and looks?

1. Bob Allen says:

WOW !!!!!!!

Just imagine – GUYS will be wanting to trade-mark their thingies – “Biggest and Brightest”; “Thick as a Cucumber”; “Sized like a whale”; “Built like a horse”; etc.

And those 6-pack abbs – “A take-home 6-pack”; “Lick a 6-pack”; “Glug a 6-pack”; etc.

2. baal says:

Trademarks need to be a “mark” i.e. something that designates source or origin of a product. If he’d like to create an image of his eye brows that could be used as a mark, great more power to him. It’d have to not be confusable with other existing brow-related (simply a bar? a furry bar, what?) icons. As to the phrase…words is words and dumber trademarks exist.

TM for a body part as a body part? Hard to imagine how you get it onto all those packages.

3. John Swindle says:

“Me and my family decided to trademark it because it’s very unique.”

I have to wonder how this kid got through elementary school, high school, and college without ever paying attention in an English class.

I was the brow.

5. Drivebyposter says:

I shall trademark my penis. None of you can use my without my permission.

6. Bob Allen says:

JUST – as I said – in comment #1 above !!!!

7. Trebuchet says:

Paging Freda Kahlo…Paging Freda Kahlo…

8. Nele says:

@Drivebyposter

I shall trademark my penis. None of you can use my without my permission.

You misunderstood the point – you should have written “None of you can use A penis without my permission.

9. Azkyroth, Former Growing Toaster Oven says:

Just when I thought I’d seen the stupidest manifestation of intellectual property pretensions imaginable…

10. davidmc says:

What will (Bert&) Ernie from Sesame Street do? Will he have to shave?