Rebecca Watson at TAM

Not. Because she is…

…announcing that I will not attend TAM this year, because I do not feel welcomed or safe and I disagree strongly with the recent actions of the JREF president, DJ Grothe.

here

25 Responses to Rebecca Watson at TAM

1. Kevin says:

Free country. It’s her right.

And DJ is being more than just a little bit of an asshole on the subject.

It’s a shame. But you could see this coming a mile away.

I suspect we haven’t seen the last pull-out.

2. John D says:

Excellent news. I feel as though us moderates are finally getting through.

Women are welcome. Slandering, lying, bullying, scapegoating women are not welcome.

And please… this is my personal opinion. I am NOT affiliated with any conventions, or organizations.

3. What I’m finding sadly fascinating is with everything she’s been called and all the threats made against her after “Guys, don’t do that,” she’s apparently the one who is a bully.

4. leftwingfox says:

I feel as though us moderates are finally getting through.

So “willful ignorance” is the moderate position. Good to know.

5. Illuminata, Genie in the Beer Bottle says:

Slandering, lying, bullying, scapegoating women are not welcome.

Translation: women who say things that are true, but that BigotJohbD doesn’t like, aren’t welcome.

Which is all of them because Phewww you can smell the stench of bitter angry bigot from waaay over here.

6. Drivebyposter says:

@ John D:
    Yeah! We sure showed those bitchslutwhores that we respect women and only stupid cunts would feel otherwise.
    Also…Women…STOP BULLYING MEN!

MEN.

ARE.

THE.

VICTIMS.

HERE.

(Please note, I’m mocking you. I know someone prone to holding your position is going to be a little…slow at figuring things out. Please educate yourself on the situation before sticking both of your feet into your mouth. This is just my personal opinion.)

7. John D says:

It is the bloggers on Free from Thought Blogs that are calling for good people (like DJ) to be fired. Somehow people here think this is appropriate. I do not.

People calling for someone to be fired for simply questioning how issues are being communicated are acting bizarre and fanatical.

Just want youall to know. There are many people who do not approve of these tactics. The little shepherd girl has cried “Wolf!” too many times!

8. Kevin says:

Women are welcome. Slandering, lying, bullying, scapegoating women OF are not welcome.

Fixed that for you.

9. Kevin says:

Preview is your friend.

Women are welcome. Slandering, lying, bullying, scapegoating OF women are not welcome.

Fixed that for you.

John D, I’m pretty sure no one has suggested in a blog post that DJ be fired, and among FTB bloggers I think my suggestion that perhaps he should resign, which even I have saidmay be a bit too much to ask, is the strongest in the direction of any solution in which DJ goes away. And frankly I would be very happy if he just got a clue and acted on it and restored TAM to its former glory.

But it is disturbing that the strongest voices in his defense are from the ranks of anti feminists, misogynists, or otherwise clueless heterocaucasoidisticnormatives.

• John D says:

Greg – you are really forgetful! You are the one who suggested that “perhaps it is time for DJ Grothe to step down.” What exactly is this supposed to mean. You are very clever person and you know what an “implied” meaning is… right? You make claims about implied meaning all the time. Wow… you are amazing!

11. Let me guess, John D is visiting from Abbie’s Slimepit.

I’m an FTB blogger, and I wrote quite openly that I don’t think DJ should resign, only that he should try to listen and learn, which he’s shown a great reluctance to do here.

But then, it’s not terribly surprising that someone all too eager to project his own worst character traits onto Rebecca would distort, or not even trouble himself to find out in the first place, what’s really being said around here.

12. Robert says:

John,

What you are experiencing is called projection. “It may be time for him to step aside” and “JREF needs to fire DJ” are not equivalent statements.

I know, distinctions aren’t your strong point. We’ll try to help you through it.

13. Azkyroth, Former Growing Toaster Oven says:

Excellent news. I feel as though us moderates are finally getting through.

Excuse me, sleazebag, but what’s being signaled is that slandering, lying to and about, bullying, and scapegoating women are all EXTREMELY welcome, as are women who don’t have a problem with any of that, or will at least keep quiet if they do.

14. Azkyroth, Former Growing Toaster Oven says:

Goddamnit.

15. Azkyroth, Former Growing Toaster Oven says:

Yes. Stop down. Not be thrown down.

How fucking stupid do you have to be to not see a difference between “you should step down” and “someone should fire you?”

16. Illuminata, Genie in the Beer Bottle says:

Let me guess, John D is visiting from Abbie’s Slimepit.

This is the guy that had threw a major wobbler over Scalzi’s “Easy Setting” post. After that, he’s just sunk lower and lower. A perfect slimepit canidate.

17. gwen says:

Rebecca is STILL getting repercussions from the simple statement ‘Guys, don’t do that’. DJ states that there have been no reports of harassment at TAM, even though he PERSONALLY tossed out a man for harassing Ashley Miller. Hmmm.

18. Utakata says:

From PZ’s Dungeon:

“John D. One of those obtuse MRA assholes; too stupid to tolerate.”

…I think pretty much know where Mr. D. is going with his objections. /sigh

19. EveryMan says:

This is fabulous news. I’ll be sending a donation to the JREF presently.

What you are all collectively missing is that Rebecca has conflated anonymous threats from YouTube/4chan trolls with directed threats from within our own community.

This is borderline criminal behavior.

She has provided no evidence that anyone that attends any of the conferences has threatened her *or* that she even knows their identity.

20. Everyman stands with Youtube/4chan trolls.

I agree, Everyman, their behavior, which you condone, is borderline criminal.

21. RH says:

Everyman,
    I take it you have never read one of Rebbecca Watson’s posts in full.

It is very easy to babble on about how Rebbecca’s behavior is ‘borderline criminal’… if your standards of knowledge of the subject hovers around the area of a fox news commentator.
    I imagine it is a bit harder to build a large network of women in the skeptical community, raise money for many who can’t afford it to go to events like TAM and put yourself up as a lightning rod for all the vitriol the bad elements in the community can spew.
    Blaming the victim/s is an old tired and pathetic game. Rebbecca shared experiences that she had, and experiences he had relayed to her. She actively worked WITH TAM among others to fix the problem. A number of these incidents were witnessed and/or documented once policies were in place.

For the record I am in the minority in that I think DJ should be fired. Dismissing someone is extremely serious and should not be done lightly. However, DJ did irreparable damage to TAM with his public statements. At this point my personal opinion is that the only way to clearly and definitively show that ‘This we do not do’ is to let him go no matter how good his other qualities are just as you would escort the most famous speaker from the conference sexually harassed a woman. I understand the difference between his words and that action. But his words were in my opinion enough that there is no going back.

22. Aspectis says: