Tropical Cyclone Names 2012

Winky
Xenophilius
Yvonne

15 Responses to Tropical Cyclone Names 2012

1. Hurricane Fluffy? I can’t wait

2. Achrachno says:

Greg, you made this up, right? Or someone did. Winky?? In the Black Lake Basin? Doesn’t sound very subtropical. Is this some Montanan’s idea of a joke?

3. blindrobin says:

This is obviously some sort of gitchy goomy humour that is completely impenetrable to those from other regions. Though the storms there can get pretty intense, just ask Edmond. Why Everard and not Edmond?

4. blindrobin says:

my mistake, I saw Blake lake Basin and my poor old mind converted it to Black Bay (Lake Superior’s specifically)

5. Art says:

Based on how these things go hurricane Fluffy will be a killer.

6. Uncle Glenny says:

Z?

7. Drivebyposter says:

At the very least, most of these are Harry Potter characters. Not really a fan so I don’t recognize all of the names.

Wow. So, there are no X Blog readers who have read Harry Potter or seen the movie? I had no idea.

Julia and I made this up.

9. Anat says:

It’s Bellatrix.

Everard is a surname. Ernie would have been better.

Irma is a more prominent in-world name (Isla is from the Black Family Tree, so not canonical enough for book-purists)

JK is out-world. James would be better.

N should be Nymphadora! (or Nicolas, or Nicholas or Narcissa)

Quigley is a surname, but there’s Quentin (equally obscure) or Quirinus (not canonically pure enough)

If we avoid Muggles (because wizards would), V should be Viktor (or Verity or Violet).

U might be Urquhart (used as a first name once, very obscure)

Z is Zacharias.

Still not happy with Y.

10. Achrachno says:

“Julia and I made this up.”

So I was right for once!

But, how’d the Black Lake Basin get into this?

11. Paulino says:

Z=Zorak (combo breaker? no?)

Traditionally, hurricane name lists seem to stop at W. Our X is going too far, perhaps. We don’t need no stinking Z’s

Black Lake is the lake at Hogwarts. It is sometime referred to as The Great Lake.

13. Anat says:

But with Scottish climate, who knows how many storms they have. Yes, you need Z. If not Zacharias, there’s (maybe) Zonko.

14. Shawn Smith says:

And, to pile on with Anat’s corrections, I’m pretty sure it’s Xenophilius, unless there’s some character that I completely forgot.