Time to shut down the Amazing Atheist

Holy crap. The Amazing Atheist is a youtube denizen who is said to have made some good vodcasts or whatever they’re called in the past. I can’t say, I’ve never seen them. He is an MRA which means that he is a bad person. All MRA’s are bad people without exception. It does pain me to say that because I’ve had friends who went MRA all over the place and it isn’t easy to watch. (Actually, it is even possible that the whole MRA culture has gotten worse, so MRA’s of 10 years ago were not as bad as those of today, on average. But I digress.)

Anyway, Reddit is apparently a very bad place where very bad people hang out and MRA’s are very bad people and when you put the two together you get, well, really bad things. Here is the “Amazing Atheist” speaking to someone he knows to be a rape victim, using the pseudonym terroja:

[trigger warning]

“No, I’m not mad. I’m just trying to trigger you. It’s not working, I guess. So, I guess the whole triggering thing is bullshit after all?” -terroja

“BTW, you have to admit, when I told you that I hope you drown in rape semen, you got a little wet, didn’t you? It’s okay. We’re friends now. You can share.” -terroja

“Then imagine the rapists with muscle, dumb ass. It’s your sick fantasy, not mine, you daft cunt.” -terroja

“I don’t believe in triggering. So, what I did was, in my mind, completely harmless. And you weren’t triggered. So, what was the real harm? You realized I was joking. I even stated that I was. So, for that joke, I deserve to be stabbed? I mean, do you not see how fucked up that is? Are you even a human being?”-terroja

“I am aware of the pretense offered for your violent tendencies towards me. Also, I’m pretty sure I could rape you without getting killed if it was really on my agenda. I mean, you didn’t kill the first guy, right?” -terroja [Note: Lorrdernie had already pointed out that his/her rapist was a female.]

This is being covered so far in the following blog posts here at FTB.com (the quote above is from the first link):

Do you subscribe to the Amazing Atheist on YouTube? Time to fix that, I would think.

Outrage that we speak up on this issue from the usual suspects in 32 … 1 … Hey wait a minute, some of the winged monkeys are actually agreeing with the Free Thought Bloggers that the Amazing Atheist is doin’ it rong!

38 Responses to Time to shut down the Amazing Atheist

1. Tim says:

Never really liked the Amazing Atheist. I’m not really surprised to see him talking misogynistic nonsense in this way.

I would like to say that your “MRA is bad” argument is somewhat simplistic. I got interested in Men’s Rights for a little while but eventually dropped out because it seems like for most men it becomes a kind of gender nationalism which I find frightening and unpleasant.

That said, certain Men’s Issues strike me as legitimate. Unfortunately some but not all feminists and masculanists tend to view ‘Rights’ as a zero sum game, where one ‘side’ can’t advance without the other being diminished.

2. grumpyoldfart says:

Has he always been like that, or is this something new? If it’s new, then let’s hope his friends can get him to a doctor.

3. Ace of Sevens says:

You did <a href="http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2009/11/chin_up_you_youtube_atheists.php"link to a video featuring him in an approving way a while back and got called on it by a commenter, but I take it you were a fan of some of the other people in that video. Not trying to throw blame at you here, just I’ve felt like I’ve been banging my head against the wall for two years pointing out what a sexist shithead this guy is and I’m glad to see it getting some wider attention.

4. Ace of Sevens says:

You did link to a video featuring him in an approving way a while back and got called on it by a commenter, but I take it you were a fan of some of the other people in that video. Not trying to throw blame at you here, just I’ve felt like I’ve been banging my head against the wall for two years pointing out what a sexist shithead this guy is and I’m glad to see it getting some wider attention.

He’s always been like this. Check out this video from summer of 2009. His popularity isn’t a new phenomenon, either.

5. Ace of Sevens says:

Thank you. I would award you my Internet, but I already spent it today.

That’s OK, I already won three internets today for a comment on Rebecca Watson’s facebook status.

7. Ace of Sevens says:

It seems this is hardly even a new low for him. http://youtu.be/UOF3t3h8QhE

8. John Greg says:

Laden said:

“He is an MRA which means that he is a bad person. All MRA’s are bad people without exception.”

Darn tootin’ buddy! The only good MRA is a dead MRA.

9. Dunc says:

Well, I have to admit, he is amazing – I’m amazed that anybody could be that much of a stupid hateful bastard and still remember to breathe. Probably not what he was aiming for, right enough…

10. Anders says:

I don’t have ptsd but I have panic attacks, and the thought of someone intentionally trying to trigger an attack just for shits’n’giggles… there is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for such vileness.

11. Jeff Sherry says:

The MRA group looked a bit fishy to me when I first saw it a couple of months ago. Glad to see my suspicions are now confirmed.

12. Steve says:

Hey, what’s wrong with us members of the Metal Roofers Alliance – you leave us alone https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metal-Roofing/132688736912

13. MRAsAreEvil says:

So funny watching you guys try to distance yourselves from one of your own. TAA isn’t an MRA in any way, he is an atheist that hates hetero-normative conservative Christians, that is his identity and schtick (It’s in his name). He got in a pick peck keyboard argument and lashed out at people with whom he has almost 100% in common with, he has basically said as much. He has never been a part of the online MRA movement, equating him with such is a laughable straw man. “All MRA’s are bad”, that’s over simplified koo koo talk unbefitting of someone who claims to be a science communicator.

John Greg: Interesting. You made a death threat. Or were you joking. And if you were joking, was your joke inspired by your lack of ability to identify the irony in my statement about MRA’s and Reddit? Which would not be funny, it would just be stupid. Your stupid.

MRAsAreEvil: You can take something for that, you know.

15. Pingback: More Than Men – What the “Amazing Atheist” and Penn Jillette say about secularism

16. Azkyroth says:

The basic problem is that there are two issues MRAs oppose: 1) the removal of male privilege in favor of greater equality and 2) manifestations of Patriarchy Hurts Men Too.

On these issues, 1) is not a matter of rights, simply a matter of arrogant entitlement and misogyny, and with 2) feminism theoretically supports their legitimate concerns (some real-world feminists are remarkably obtuse about the legitimacy of those concerns, granted). Unfortunately, MRAs don’t distinguish between them.

We already have the baby over here. We can go ahead and throw out the bathwater.

17. Pingback: We Don’t Need You as an Atheist Spokesperson, TJ « Yet Another Atheist

18. Tim Groc says:

Where did John Greg make a death threat?

I can’t see one.

19. Pingback: The “Amazing” Atheist Suicide Bombs Himself « Foster Disbelief

20. Billy BobThornton says:

Where is the death threat?

Oh look, the winged monkeys are here.

I referred to:

“The only good MRA is a dead MRA”

And I did so ironically. But I know it is hard for you people to comprehend much, being all, you know, stupid and shit.

22. TCM says:

Hello, my name is TCM and I’ve been an MRA for a while. Saying TAA is an MRA because he is antifeminist is like me saying all atheists are fundamentalist Christians because they both disagree with the notion that “Allah is the only god and Mohammed is his prophet.” One does not necessarily make the other. It is very similar to the ancient fallacy that “a cow has four legs; cats have four legs; therefore, cats are cows.”

It’s disappointing when a fellow skeptic (I’m an agnostic myself), who prides himself on his reason and aversion of logical fallacies, makes repeated logical errors.

“All MRA’s are bad people without exception.”

Sounds like you left a lot of “freedom of thought” in that sweeping generalization, Mr. Reason. I haven’t heard a lot of you either, but so far you sound like quite the fraud!

Saying TAA is an MRA because he is antifeminist is like …

I didn’t say that.

“All MRA’s are bad people without exception.”

Biting irony, insult. Suck it up.

24. Billy BobThornton says:

Nope. Still can’t see any death threat.

But it is good that you can admit your limitations.

26. John Horstman says:

Hehe, I’m laughing my ass off; it’s nice to get a good shot of humor in the middle of this shitstorm. The best part is that, despite the blatant generalizing, I’m not entirely convinced this is an indefensible thesis. We’d need a specific definition of “bad person” from which to operate, and we could of course never get conclusive proof, as the cost of evaluating every single MRA against our operational definition of “bad person” would be prohibitive, but if we got a random sampling of MRAs of sufficient size without finding a single person who didn’t fit the “bad person” definition, we could apply Bayes’ Theorem to definitively state that this is the case to a given degree of probability. Anyone have the time? :-P

27. Brad Simpson says:

John Greg – The only good MRA is a dead MRA.

Really? Most so called “MRA” men are people who have been abused or seriously threatened, maybe raped or otherwise physically attacked. Such men do not need the additional damage caused by a remark like this. Even if you thought you were joking this is not a joke and you need to rethink.

28. twooffour says:

Just my 2 cents, I’ve been watching this guy’s videos some of the time (mostly for entertainment), and the sample of his reddit quotes are completely baffling to me.

It’s like this wasn’t the same guy from the videos (btw, “Terroja” is his real name). He even lampshaded that in one of his “books” (the one with the “survivors of rape” chapter) – “this isn’t the cute TJ from the videos, this is the real me”.

In his videos, incl. those about feminism (and other people’s immorality), he comes off as a guy who genuinely believes in gender equality and despises douchebaggery.
    Sure, he’s loud and foulmouthed, but his anger always seems either justified or comically exaggerated (when ranting about stuff like McDonald’s).

So how do these atrocious comments fit into the picture? Is it “shock humor”, like “I’m just gonna say this because it’s so wrong; it’s not serious, so it’s alright!”, or trolling? Or is this the real him, while the nice YT facade is an act?
    Is it maybe a case of cognitive dissonance, like he’s one person on video and then lets out the asshole when sitting before the dissociating comment section?

What was he thinking when doing these rape threats, did he think “nah, they’re just bullshitting, so let’s say something nasty”, or was he actually willing to make someone feel bad?

All I know is, these comments stand in a crass contrast to, for instance, his recent remarks in the Chris Brown video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYd3caCrxI#t=30) and lots of earlier stuff – and his opinion that “masculinism” is “stupid” makes him being a closet MRA rather problematic.

I’m not about to delve into this shitfest at this point, cross-comparing his various videos and the dozens of blogposts and reddits all with the comments and the context – simply don’t have the time for that (putting this on my to-do list, though).

All I’m saying is, Kincaid should be evaluated critically just as any other historical (and current) person – if they’re ambiguous personalities who have said (and, in others’ cases) done admirable/acceptabe things as well as immoral and bigoted ones, that’s how it should be documented.
    TAA isn’t someone who keeps on ranting about how awesome Male Privilege is – he could be in an alternate reality, but he ain’t.

Would be good if more of these blogposts waded through some of his videos and attempted to show this contrast, so readers would get more of the “TAA’s audience had no idea what he writing in his reddits” vibe additionallty to the “bunch of misogynistic rape apologists defending an asshat just because he’s an atheist”.
    That would be more truthful to reality, from what I’ve seen.

29. MingTian says:

“I got interested in Men’s Rights for a little while but eventually dropped out because it seems like for most men it becomes a kind of gender nationalism which I find frightening and unpleasant.”

I’m not an MRA myself but I don’t agree. From what I’ve seen only a small minority of men who are MRAs view it as “gender nationalism”, MOST of them are actually alright. The ones who are crazy are just pissed(for good reason). If anything the feminist movement has turned into a gender SUPREMACIST movement, so point your finger at them.

“Unfortunately some but not all feminists and masculanists tend to view ‘Rights’ as a zero sum game, where one ‘side’ can’t advance without the other being diminished.”

Some feminists? HAHAHHHAHAH, yeah right.

As for MRAs being “bad” like the author of this article says, that’s bullshit. Most of them are alright, though there is some crazies. Whereas with feminists, MOST of them are bad and only some good. I’d say feminists are also worse because they have much more of an effect on society. But of course you dare not criticize them and their bullshit.

“(Actually, it is even possible that the whole MRA culture has gotten worse, so MRA’s of 10 years ago were not as bad as those of today, on average.)”

Nope, they’ve just gained a bit more spotlight. The reason they seem “worse” is because society has been so feminized that whatever MRAs say is deemed “evil”. MRAs barely existed 10 years ago so that’s irrelevant. Feminist culture has always been corrupt and bad, but uh oh, don’t criticize them!

Idiot.

30. Joe says:

I’m wondering if “twooffour” is a “TJ” sock puppet; my apologies if they are not.

In any case, this is not the firs time TJ has exhibited a dark side. I used to watch his videos with some frequency back in the 2006 to 2008 time frame and stopped dong so because his ego swelled with his number of subscribers to an intolerable level. But I can recall several times when he went off the deep end including one infamous incident in which he vitriolically attacked a very reasonable YouTuber known for dissecting the fallacious reasoning of creationists (his YouTube moniker was “DonExodus” I believe). He was at the time, if I recall correctly, a grad student and was far more erudite regarding biology and evolution than the high school dropout TJ.

However, this DonExodus guy was at the time still self identifying as a Roman Catholic, though openly struggling its doubt regarding hs belief in god (I believe he has since become openly agnostic or atheist). Nevertheless, he was an eloquent defender of reason and exposed of creationist nonsense. But whether TJ was acting out of jealousy over “DonExodus’s” academic credentials (which the wannabe intellectual high school dropout TJ sorely lacks) or anger over the fact that “DonExodus” was still identifying as a ‘believer’ (despite his defense of evolution against creationist propaganda), he launched a truly disgraceful profanity laden tirade against DonExodus.

He’s also made many comments in the past consistent with his misogynist meltdown on Reddit. He has said expliitly or implicitly many times prior to “Reddit Gate” that rape is not as significant or damaging an act as people make it out to be, and has frequently expressed contempt for those who, in his words, let their having been raped adversely effect them for the rest of their lives. His Reddit outburst was shocking but not surprising or inconsistent with views he’s expressed publicly for quite some time.

He also did some other distasteful things during the time I used to watch and occasionally comment on his videos. One thing he did (which few other prominent atheist YouTubers did as well) I found distasteful is that he would occasionally present other people’s ideas as his own without acknowledgement of the fact. He earns literally hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from ad revenue yet regularly ebegs his audience for money to fund projects that never come to fruition. This has been well documented and is the subject of several videos critical of TJ on YouTube. His latest scam inolved a website called “Not Productive” which he rather outrageously claimed required $20,000 to launch. This was several months ago and to date, as far as I can tell, there has been nothing of substance on the site.

One problem with YouTube is that there are millions and millions of children on it. I don’t mean this as a euphimism for immature adults mind you; there are literally many millions of kids, in the 8 to 16 age range, on YouTube and determining what is popular. In such a context, the popularity of someone as crude and shallow as TJ is not as surprising as it might otherwise be. That’s why TJ and “Fred” are far more popular than channes featuring say, Sam Harris or Dan Dennett.

I am somewhat surprised that he wasn’t tossed off of YouTube in light of his absolutely vile outburs at Reddit. Sure, it wasn’t on YouTube, but when do prominent a YouTube logger as TJ engages in behavior like that in a public forum, his continued presence in good standing on YouTube is somewhat disconcerting. There is a big push currently to see Rush Limbaugh taken off the air, through legal channels (putting pressure on sponsors, etc.) , in the wake of misogynist comments he made that we’re nowhere near as outrageous as TJ’s. Obviously TJ has nowhere near the influence or audience that Limbaugh has, but I’m still surprised there hasn’t been pressure put on YouTube to pull the plug on this guy.

31. Mike says:

Free thought blogs “time to shut down the amazing atheist” Free thought indeed.

Mike, what is your point?

33. Jake says:

All these whiny butthurt MRAs are hilarious. Your silly little movement hasn’t achieved anything. In fact, all I ever see on MRA forums is how you people complain about how men are conscripted in the army while forgetting that hardly ever happens anymore in the Western world and in somecountries that do conscript – they have their women join in or treat them like crap.

34. Kelby says:

I’ve unsubbed from this asshole, and I’ve blocked his channel, and did EVERYTHING I COULD to get away from this asshole’s videos, and they STILL COME UP EVERYWHERE I SEARCH ON YOUTUBE!! No, YouTube, I told you I want NOTHING to do with that bastard.

That being said, if the rape victim sees this, allow me to apologize on behalf of all my fellow atheists in the world. No one should have to deal with people like this, and I hope you know there ARE atheists who actually have a brain and are far too self-respecting to support a fat, dead beat, rape-celebrating blob like this one. Christopher Hitchens is probably pointing and laughing at TJ (either that or weeping for the atheist community.)

35. Bob says:

You’re a douchecanoe, Grag Laden. …and apparently illiterate.
    fkn cuntbucket.

and Jackass.

36. Frank Sinatra says:

Your unending fallacies hurt my brain. First, you ADMITTED to not watching any of his content. Hopefully I don’t have to explain why that’s stupid. Next, he’s not even a MRA. But, of course, you wouldn’t know that, having not watched his content. He’s a Gender Rights Activist. Tell me, what happens when a woman hits a man. Now, tell me what happens when a man hits a woman. If those two responses are different, that’s gender inequality. You, my friend, are a dumbass.