Muslim Students Walking Out on Darwin

At the University College London, it appears that Muslim students including but not limited to those taking medical training, are walking out on lectures that bring up evolutionary theory or Darwin.

‘They don’t come [to lectures] or they complain about it or they send notes or emails saying they shouldn’t have to learn this stuff.
‘What they object to – and I don’t really understand it, I am not religious – they object to the idea that there is a random process out there which is not directed by God.’

source

Just in case the Daily Mail is not the greatest source in the world, I had a look around to see if anyone else was reporting this. From the Tribune:

In ongoing protests, Muslim students including trainee doctors at Britain’s University College London have walked out of biology lectures on evolution, reports The Daily Mail.

Doh!

OK, then there’s this Australian source. They’re much closer than I am here in Minnesota:

Muslim biology students are boycotting lectures about evolution because they conflict with their creationist beliefs, one of Britain?s leading scientists has revealed.

Steve Jones, emeritus professor of human genetics at University College London, said increasing numbers of his undergraduates were refusing to attend his lectures on evolution and complaining that the subject should not be taught on their course.

“It is a minority of students … but [the problem] is definitely there and it is definitely growing,” said Jones, who teaches introductory genetics to about 300 first-year students, about a fifth of whom are Muslim.

“I had one or two slightly frisky discussions years ago with kids who belonged to fundamentalist Christian churches … now it is Islamic, overwhelmingly.”

That’s from The Australian Higher Education section.

Continuing with that source,

Richard Dawkins, the evolutionary biologist and former Oxford professor, first raised the Muslim boycott of lectures in an interview with the Times Educational Supplement last month.

“Occasionally, my colleagues lecturing in universities lament having undergraduate students walk out of their classes when they talk about evolution — this is almost entirely Muslims,” he said. “I think there’s a very, very pernicious influence that is lasting up to the university years.”

In my view, these students should be given an appropriate grade; What is the English equivalent of an “F”?

12 Responses to Muslim Students Walking Out on Darwin

1. Randomfactor says:

Maybe they can make up the failed courses during Ramadan school.

2. fredbloggs says:

It’s an “F”

Bear in mind that the Daily Mail is a godawful newspaper which pretends to be a “broadsheet” while in fact being targeted at the right-wing element of UK (NOT ENGLISH) society. Anything you read in the DM should be taken with a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) pinch of salt. This isn’t to say that there isn’t a core of truth in the article; there may well be, but if your only source WERE the DM I’d look to verify it with other sources.

Having said that, if Evo was a part of the course in question, and they were subsequently tested on it, but came up with some bollocks, then they should be graded appropriately. Religion has no place in biology or medicine.

3. AsqJames says:

Coincidentally I just finished listening to today’s Infinite Monkey Cage (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017m14t) with Steve Jones as one of the guests. At one point he said that 10-20% of his biology students arrive at university as creationists. He doesn’t mention whether this results in walk-outs or just extra remedial work before he and his colleagues can do any proper teaching. That statement itself shocked me a bit, but this is simply ridiculous.

When I was at university, I had to attend a minimum of 70% of lectures and tutorials or I’d have been thrown off the course. UCL could ensure 31% of lectures in the first semester of any first year biology course contain reference to evolution. They can then dump the theo-tards half way through the year while keeping 100% of the tuition fees. As a bonus they increase their teacher/student ratio by 20% which improves the quality of education for those willing to actually learn something.

4. elaine says:

I’d take anything from “The Australian” with an, er, grain of salt.

The paper, the main Murdoch masthead in australia, has declared War on Science (it’s anti global warming reporting is…worthy of Fox network),editorially has written that the Greens need to be “destroyed” and has a horrendously misogynistic bias against our Prime Minister.

See also, deltoid at Sciencblogs.

5. elaine says:

*sigh*

I wish. You can have Tony Abbott and Cory Bernardi. Please take them? They’d fit in really well with the Rethugs. In fact, Bernardi has recently visited Tea Partiers to get inspiration and campaign ideas.

Our Republican equivalent party calls itself, a misnomer if ever there was one, The Liberal Party.

6. Irreverend Bastard says:

I went to Austria once. Not a kangaroo to be seen anywhere. Very confusing.

7. . I’ve been assured by many Austrians that none of those bad American things like Fox News or Republicans exist there!

They’re also pretty short on kangaroos

8. I’m not really that great with composing so I have a tendency to take more time looking at information sites in comparison with writing on them, acquiring examine your own house I believe you have some terrific information about below. Perhaps I might start off my very own blog and also offer info to be able to others. Carry on the truly amazing work and search out there with regard to my own blog site on trading, will be hubpages the best place that i can commence when Now i’m a new comer to establishing the weblog?

9. Pingback: The Cognitive Dissonance of Parents | Secular Somnambulist