Short version of the story: Some Ohio Atheists had arranged to have a couple of “god is not real” billboards put up, raised the money, got the artwork and mockups done, the whole nine yards. Then, at the last second Lind Media company decided that Atheistic Billboards would be wrong, so they pulled out.

Documentation, including an admission from Maura Siegenthaler, Vice President of Lind Media Company, which is on North Main Street in Mansfield, Ohio, that they felt “… the inflammatory nature of the proposed displays would no doubt be considered offensive to much of the community and would be harmful to Lind’s community reputation and goodwill” is HERE on the Mid Ohio Atheists site.

If you live in the region where Lind Media Company works, and you know of any of their billboards, have a look and let us know what companies are advertising on them! We can write some letters, raise a little dust.

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Lind Media Billboard Company: If you are not religious, you are “obscene, unnecessarily offensive and/or not in the best interests of the community at large”

1. Steve Withers says:

Interesting. I might be worth pointing out to them their restriction on free speech is itself “offensive to much of the community and would be harmful to Lind’s community reputation and goodwill”.

It’s a shame then the truth can’t get a look in.

2. gwen says:

The Lind company also needs a lesson on ‘the Streisand Effect’. Now, the messages of those rejected billboards will get much more exposure than the actual billboards ever would have!

3. Cyberguy says:

Lind’s bigoted response to the Atheist billboards is a perfect example of why the billboards are needed.

4. David says:

Greg,
    Feel free to delete this comment after reading it because it has no bearing on the topic. I just wanted to let you know that there is a typo in your article.
    “…I for on, if I see a Lind Media tag on a billboard…”
    Consider revising the sentence that contains the typo as well. I think that something like “I, for one, will be boycotting products advertised on Lind Media billboards…”
    Disclaimer – I’m a free-thinker/atheist and support your idea. Thank you for sharing this with your readers. I know that if I wrote something like this and it contained a typo, I would appreciate it if someone let me know. Thank you!

• Greg Laden says:

David: Thanks for the note on the typo. I actually fixed this typo yesterday as well as two on Manspace but our server is acting strange and changes are sometimes lost.

The original wording does look a little clumsy but there is actually meaning in it.

5. Taylor R. says:

This whole thing between separating beliefs, religious or not, from the general public is obscure and outdated. However, if the federal government be willing to slowly take away mine and everybody else’s 1st amendment right of freedom of belief, it goes for everybody.

After all, the “separation of church and state” doesn’t exist at all and it is a stupid (never mind the fact that it’s nonexistent) moderation of freedom of expression, such as this billboard incident you report. People have the right to express religion publicly in the form of billboards, whether they’re endorsing Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Atheism, etc.

6. F. Bacon says:

While I personally hate using the noise “God” as if it has an actual meaning, this nevertheless is aimed at a demographic which has probably never heard it used except in the way the majority of local culture uses it. If it were otherwise, “God” would just be one of the many gods, but this way it does target the judeo-christian/muslim assumptions of the (likely) majority of the local population. I suspect that even the use of “gods” would be considered offensive.

7. StevoR says:

“If you are a company that uses billboards, consider the possibility that using Lind Media is not a good idea. I for one, if I see a Lind Media tag on a billboard, will instantly launch a personal boycott of that product no matter what it is. If you own or work in a decision making capacity for a company that uses billboards, and you are a free thinker or simply believe in free speech and open dialog rather than crushing opinions you don’t agree with and silencing those that think differently than you do, then you might consider avoiding Lind Media Company entirely.”

It occurs to me, sadly, that vocal Christian activists saying exactly that in reverse could well explain why the Lind media company backed out of displaying the atheist billboard message in the first place. Maybe?

• Greg Laden says:

Not the same thing at all. Consumers selectively avoiding a provider of a service because the provider is biased against said consumers is one thing. The provider biasing against a set of consumers based on the usual reasons (creed, race, gender, etc.) is entirely different.

8. Krakow says:

Impressive knowledge gratitude for placing. In truth in all content of this site there is things to educate yourself on.