Yet another size and scale video

I like the way this address spacetime instead of merely space. Or time .Do you recognize the languages i the background?

11 Responses to Yet another size and scale video

1. greg laden says:

I thought it was Japanese in the beginning, but then I thought it changed to something else later. But I’m not exactly listening in high fi.

2. Wataru Tenga says:

Definitely Japanese, from start to finish.

3. Eamon Knight says:

Interesting: that’s the version I recall seeing first way back c.1970, with the picnic on a Miami golf course. I’ve also seen with the starting point being Soldier Field in Chicago.

4. iowayank says:

This is the original version of the famous short film from 1977, “Powers of 10″, made by the fascinating and versatile Charles and Ray Eames. I first saw it back in college in the 70s – before the ’77 version was made. The ’77 version is narrated by Philip Morrison – in that one, indeed, the trip leaves from a picnic in Chicago (as I recall, Morrison, who should have known better, points out “Soldier(s) Field” as the camera zooms out). I too prefer the “Rough Sketch” because of the dial clocks – they really drill home the issue of relativistic effects.More on the official Powers of 10 website (http://powersof10.com“); both versions are available on a DVD called “The Films of Charles and Ray Eames (Volume 1).” More on Charles and Ray Eames at their ‘official’ website (http://www.eamesgallery.com/).

5. Ana says:

Hey, I have this movie!

6. greg laden says:

Katrina:Well, I do like the music on the one you suggest, but really, the song does not use the meteric system, that video does not address spacetime, and it does not delve into sub-organismic scales. It would be nice to combine the two, and have Monty Python redo the song using the metric system.

7. greg laden says:

8. Gordon S says:

I always liked the intro to the movie Contact. It doesn’t have the voice over, or any explanation except the visual, but it is wonderfully great at getting the point across.

9. Katrina says:

Greg,You’re absolutely right. For educational purposes, the original is much better. I was actually searching through the YouTube files to find one with a clearer audio track, when I came across the Monty Python one.Thanks to iowayank, I also visited http://www.powersof10.com, where they have the video available in flash.